Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Clemson Writing Center (or, English Grad Students with Facial Hair)

Well that's a good sign. I'm actually able to open blogger and type into the "New Post" box. Let's hope this uploads when I'm done, or random passerby may soon see a MacBook Pro being thrown out of the third floor window of Sanders Hall.
You see, Google recently updated its entire system, meaning that we, the poor oafs of this reigning internet monarch, have been forced to adapt. The consequences of non-compliance? Separation from the modern world. Oh well. It's not the first time, and it definitely will not be the last. 
Anyway. As I typed the above paragraphs the blog title "English 103" stared out at me unblinkingly, as if knowing that so far this post has had absolutely nothing to do with Charlsie's class. But that, dear reader, is about to change. 
You see, this week was the due date of the rough drafts for our research assignment. But wait! There's more! (This is college you know.) Miss Charlsie, the benevolent, caring, watchful teacher that she is, assigned to us a project: Go to the Clemson Writing Center, take whatever you have so far of your draft, and proceed to review it with one of the graduate students there. Sounds good. I accordingly scheduled an appointment for Tuesday November 1 at 3 pm. In Daniel 305. With some guy named Samuel Fuller.
Samuel Fuller himself is a rather strange individual. He has this huge beard that he's always plucking on. Always. With really long hair. Glasses. Marginally socially awkward. I mean, who else would want to sit in a tiny cubicle and go over undergraduate papers all day when you could be out having a life, right? Hopefully he's getting some extra credit. He sure seems to know his stuff.
We went over my outline and the small amount of actual drafting I had accomplished. He was quite helpful. The biggest message I took away was to streamline my introduction, combine and erase unnecessary sentences and get to the thesis as quickly as possible. Don't confuse people with random facts and wordy sentences in the introduction that will take away from your thesis. Keep things short, sweet and to the point.
Another thing we discussed was the sheer size my paper could potentially reach given the massive amount of information I planned to cover. 2500 words really aren't that much when you're writing a dissertation. He suggested shortening and clipping some of the topics I had planned to cover in my outline and get to the meat of the paper as concisely as possible. That's what the reader is looking for anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment